The Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute Records include historical materials such as: documents related to the Clarks’ decision to locate their collection in Williamstown; founding documents such as incorporation papers, early board minutes, and engineering studies and architectural plans for the 1955 marble building; and the correspondence, reports, and memoranda of the Clark’s first three directors. One of these directors, David Brooke, did extensive research into the Clark family and Robert Sterling Clark as a collector, and this material is part of the Clark Records.
The Records also include materials collected though its active Records Management Program, which regularly transfers to the Archives ongoing administrative and departmental records. These rich materials document the day-to-day history and functioning of the Clark, including:
- Administrative records that document museum governance and administrative evolution
- Exhibition files that document curatorial research and correspondence, exhibition-related events and publicity, gallery photographs, wall texts, and many other materials
- Publications files, documenting the creation of exhibition-related materials, ephemera, publicity materials, scholarly publications, etc.
- Public relations files that document publicity and visitor experiences
- Building and renovation projects
- Education programs, engaging visitors of all ages and backgrounds
- Development of the Library and the Research and Academic Program with its scholarly colloquia, symposia, Fellowship program, and conferences.
The Clark Archives and Records Management Program was founded in 2006 with the support of the Institute of Library and Museum Services, the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, and the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation.