Skip to main content



Director's Office Records

Director's Office Records

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
Large
Extra Large
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute:

A Guide to Records of the Director's Office, 1955-1977

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute. Library
225 South Street
Williamstown, MA, 01267
413-458-0532
library@clarkart.edu

March 31, 2009



Profile Description

Creation: Finding aid Inventory prepared by Dani Ryan
Language: Finding aid written in English.

Repository: Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute. Library
Creator:Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
Title: Director's Office Records
Dates: 1955-1977
General Physical Description:31.25 linear feet (25 boxes)
Abstract:This series contains the records of the Director's Office from 1955-1977. The series is primarily correspondence to and from the Director of the museum about a wide variety of the museum's concerns such as publicity, acquisitions, staff hiring, construction, and expansion of the museum.
Identification: CAI ARC 2007.01
Language: English

Arrangement of the Records

The order and file names of the series were preserved from the original organization of the materials. The files are organized chronologically and alphabetically within the year. Some files belonging to this record group were found with other materials after the arrangement and numbering of the series. These items were inserted into the appropriate place in the series and numbered with the preceding folder's number and a,b,c, etc.

Scope and Contents of the Records

The Director's Office records 1955-1977 are comprised almost entirely of business correspondence between the Director of the museum and other people and institutions though other records, such as receipts and publications, are occasionally present. During this nascent phase of the museum the Director's Office handled almost all aspects of business and consequently these files reflect a wide spectrum of museum concerns including publicity, acquisitions, finances, staff hiring, construction, and expansion of the museum. Some files are devoted to individuals and institutions while others are labeled with subjects such as Inquiries, Acquisitions, and Employment. The subject headings and content of the materials remains quite consistent throughout the years, even through the tenures of different Directors.


History of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute

In 1950 Sterling and Francine Clark chartered the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute as a home for their extensive art collection. Opened to public in 1955, the Institute has built upon this extraordinary group of works to become one of the most beloved and respected art museums in the world, known for its intimate galleries and stunning natural environment. One of the few institutions in the United States that combines a public art museum with a complement of research and academic programs, including a major art history library, the Clark is now a leading international center for research and discussion on the nature of art and art history. Building upon the founders' legacy, the Institute has recently unveiled its master plan for the twenty-first century, which fosters the Clark's commitment to providing space for its expanding research and museum programs while maintaining the unique character of its beautiful rural setting.


Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

This material is currently restricted.

Restrictions on Use

This material is currently restricted.


Administrative Information

Custodial History

This material was found among the institutional records housed in Storage A.

Preferred Citation

[Cite the item (as appropriate)], Records of the Director's Office, 1955-1977, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute Records, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Massachusetts

Acquisition Information

This material was accessioned from Storage A.

Processing Information

The original order and file names of these records was maintained. The Director's Office records of Peter Guille and George Heard Hamilton were processed as one record group because the content and organization of the material is quite consistent from 1955-1975. Each series generally contains all of the records from one year, but occasionally a series contains several years worth of information. The series were maintained from the original organization of the material, with one series representing one box worth of material.


Related Material

Related or similar material can be found in the following series in the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute Archives, Williamstown, Massachusetts: Policy Book / Administrative Manual, 1966; Director's Office Early Financial Records; Photographs Separated from the Records of the Director's Office; Curatorial Office Records of the Prints and Drawings Department; Records of John H. Brooks; Records and Papers of David Brooke; Director's Office Records of David Brooke, 1980-1994; Director's Office Records of Inquiries; Institutional Oral Histories; Historical Records from the Director's Vault, 1950-1994.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK